Sunday 27 April 2014

He Jests At Scars - a short play

Trying to direct shakespeare to fall in line with modern day realism's expectations can be a challenge for the best directors. Imagining the well known characters speaking in a naturalistic sense can be difficult for even experienced audience members. And the idea of what the characters of a tragedy might do after such a traumatic and life-changing event can actually be more depressing than the deaths themselves

Scene 1

The hanging of the apothecary, the gibbet not seen onstage. Enter the NURSE, FRIAR LAWRENCE and PETER, facing the audience, as if the gallows were there.

Nurse:
Is it fair?

Lawrence:
It isn't fair.

Nurse:
He had no choice.

Lawrence:
No other options.

Nurse:
Dead for forty ducats.

Lawrence:
He knew the law.

Nurse:
The law on selling poison.

Lawrence:
To any man in Mantua

Nurse:
Death. By hanging.

Lawrence:
We weren't to know.

Nurse:
I didn't know.

Lawrence:
You weren't told.

Nurse:
I loved the girl.

Lawrence:
We all did.

Nurse:
And now...and now...

Lawrence:
You have to leave.

Nurse:
I have to leave.

Lawrence:
It's what the Prince has said.

Nurse:
The sentence is passed.

Lawrence:
He thinks you helped the girl.

Nurse:
I didn't know...

Lawrence:
You never would have.

Nurse:
But you did.

Lawrence:
I married them.

Nurse:
You married them.

Lawrence:
I know.

Nurse:
Then why must I leave but not you?

Lawrence:
Isn't it obvious?

Nurse:
No. Not to me. But I suppose to you.

Lawrence:
Where will you go? Mantua?

Nurse:
It's haunted for me there.

Lawrence:
Then Milan.

Nurse:
Further.


Lawrence:
Rome? Naples?

Nurse:
Perhaps.

Lawrence:
Before the end of the day

Nurse:
Don't remind me.

Lawrence:
Fine.

The trap is heard to fall through. The crack of the Apothecary's neck.

Peter:
Come on.

Exit.

Scene 2

The funeral of Juliet, Lady Montague, Mercutio, Paris, Romeo and Tybalt. Enter PRINCE ESCALUS and LORD MONTAGUE. Then enter LORD CAPULET and PETRUCHIO. All are visibly upset, save the Prince.

Prince:
Lord Capulet.

Capulet:
My Prince Escalus.

Montague:
Boy.

Petruchio:
Yes, my lord.

Montague:
You were a friend of Tybalt.

Petruchio:
I was, my lord.

Prince:
No more of that, Montague.

Montague:
No, no, I wasn't...that...I wasn't.

Prince:
I'm glad. Who's conducting the service?

Capulet:
Friar John.

Prince:
Ah.

Capulet:
He's not the best, but-

Prince:
Yes I know.

Montague:
I wonder.

Prince:
You wonder what?

Montague:
Why Lawrence chose to leave.

Capulet:
He didn't say. He didn't really have to.

Montague:
He went into the hills.

Prince:
Hermitage?

Capulet:
It's not uncommon.

Montague:
In the friary. Quite a popular change to one's lifestyle.

Capulet:
She's gone too.

Prince:
Good. Where to? Padua? Florence?

Montague:
Athens.

Prince:
Athens? Why in the name of God?

Capulet:
Wanted to get away. Far away.

Montague:
As if she had a choice.

Prince:
Look, would you not? You were no saints in these wars, and are not free from my judgement.

Petruchio:
My masters, if I may be so bold as to speak against you, I've come to mourn my friend, Tybalt, you your children. We should be respectful.

Montague:
That we should.

Capulet:
Ah, I must go. My eulogy.

Prince:
Lord Capulet. Remember this.

Exit CAPULET. PETRUCHIO begins to cry.

End of scene.

Scene 3

Enter BENVOLIO.

Welcome to Verona. Verona in 1562. 1595. Umm...oh never mind, it shouldn't matter either way. The city upholds a solemn vigil. Tybalt, Mercutio, and Paris, are murdered. Romeo Montague and Juliet Capulet are dead. Suicide. Lady Montague is also dead. Juliet's Nurse is exiled and Friar Lawrence has retired to a cave, two miles outside the town. Old Capulet, Lord Capulet's cousin, has died at the funeral of the aforementioned dead. I, a friend of the aforementioned Romeo, and the aforementioned Mercutio, am attending the second funeral in four days. But death has yet to leave Verona.

Enter ESCALUS.

Prince:
Who's there?

Benvolio:
Nay, answer me. Stand, and unfold yourself.

Prince:
Prince Escalus, of Verona.

Benvolio:
Apologies, my lord.

Prince:
No need, no need, I see now you are Benvolio, the last son of the house of Montague.

Benvolio:
Need I reminding?

Prince:
Of course not, I'm sorry.

Benvolio:
Aye.

Prince:
Did you know Old Capulet.

Benvolio:
No.

Prince:
But you have to be here.

Benvolio:
Show my face.

Prince:
It's the proper thing.

Benvolio:
A reconciliation isn't easy. It takes time.

Prince:
What's keeping you awake.

Benvolio:
Romeo.

Prince:
Of course.

Benvolio:
I just want to remember him as he was. But...to think that they lay him in the cold ground...

Prince:
All things must die, Benvolio.

Benvolio:
Not so young, surely.

Prince:
No, of course not-

Benvolio:
At fifteen.

Prince:
Look, all I meant was-

Benvolio:
Cut it! (Pause) I'm sorry, that wasn't intented.

Prince:
Don't mention it.

Benvolio:
So why are you awake?

Prince:
I am a prince. Sleep favours the poor.

Benvolio:
Yes, that it does. My lord?

Prince:
Yes?

Benvolio:
Do you think that...Romeo...thinks about us. In heaven.

Prince:
Heaven? Romeo is a murderer of two, and himself!

Benvolio:
He died in a friary, he would have repented.

Prince:
No amount of repentance could save a murderer.

Benvolio:
Foul? He was a good man, he only killed for love.

Prince:
Affectation.

Benvolio:
Affect- who are you? Have you no heart? Finds charity in you no sharper spur?

Prince:
I hope you will not reject the good book for affection and...mere sentiment.

Benvolio:
Goodnight, Escalus.


Prince:
You will-

Benvolio:
Goodnight.

Exit BENVOLIO.

Prince:
Quietude. The city feels empty. No tumult, no strife, no factious warring. I should be happy. But it's just...purposeless. This life, is purposeless. And I can't settle, dispel my anger. Everyone else has moved on with their lives, why can't I? Maybe I should leave, get away for a while. But who would rule the city? Capulet I suppose, but I don't trust him yet. No, I'll stay. I'll wait it out. (Pause) For now.

End of scene

Scene 4

Enter PETRUCHIO and MONTAGUE.

Petruchio:
My lord. (Goes to exit)

Montague:
Yes,- ah, boy! Boy!

Petruchio:
(Stops) Yes, my lord?

Montague:
I, uh...I'm sorry about the other day, at...you see everything was so fresh-

Petruchio:
My lord, I really wouldn't worry about it.

Montague:
Ah, yes, well...thank you. (Pause) Where are you going?

Petruchio:
Umm...to see Lord Capulet. I received word that I'm needed urgently.

Montague:
Ah. Then I won't keep you.

Exit PETRUCHIO

Oh, my, oh, my...they won't find out, they won't, I...I don't even want to remember. I won't...i can't...shouldn't.

Montague collapses. Flashback. Enter LADY CAPULET, putting make-up on in front of a mirror. Montague's speech is a prerecorded projection. Lady Capulet acts as if he is present.

Montague:
My lady.

Lady:
Oh, my- Montague?

Montague:
None but he.

Lady:
What- how did you gain admittance to my bed-chamber?

Montague:
You are a very beautiful woman, do you know that?

Lady:
My lord!

Montague:
You've failed to answer my question.

Lady:
What?

Montague:
Do you know that you are a very beautiful woman?

Lady:
I must insist that you leave at once, my lord.

Montague:
Sweet lady, I must confess, ever since the death of my dear wife I have felt so alone in this terrible world, this awful world of harsh inconsequence!

Lady:
Ever since? That was three weeks ago!

Montague:
Three weeks are for me a lifetime without my dear wife, I need the soft touch of a woman, so dearly-

Lady:
Do not touch me! leave go of me!

Montague:
No, if the gentle spirit of moving words can no way change you to a milder form, I'll woo you like a solider, at arms' end, and love you against the nature of love - force you.

Lady:
I will not have it, I- Help! What ho, help!

LADY CAPULET throws herself around the room as if she were being thrown. She turns away from the audience, and is stabbed, a knife in her chest when she turns again. She falls to the ground, twitching, not yet dead.

Montague:
I'll force you to yield to my desire!

Her dress is pulled slightly up. End of scene.

Scene 5

MONTAGUE and CAPULET, sitting. PETRUCHIO and PETER, with heads in hands.

Petruchio:
What have you done?

Montague:
I didn't mean it.

Capulet:
She was so beautiful.

Petruchio:
We have to do something. Call the prince.

Montague:
What's the point?

Capulet:
What's the use?

Montague:
What's done is done.

Capulet:
Can't change the past.

Petruchio:
I don't understand why you're just...sitting there! Isn't one of you remotely angry at, or afraid of, the other?

Capulet:
Call the prince then.

Montague:
There's nothing he can do.

Capulet:
Not anymore.

Montague:
Not now.

PETRUCHIO gestures to PETER, who exits.

Petruchio:
I didn't know it would come to this. Is this what happens when you're on your own? You just sit back and let every good thing in your life leave you?

Montague:
Tell me, boy.

Capulet:
Have you seen death?

Montague:
Have you watched someone.

Capulet:
As they die.

Petruchio:
Have I- what? What does it matter?

Montague:
It matters because you'd realise.

Capulet:
That there's no point. To anything.

Montague:
All the fighting.

Capulet:
Everything you've ever worked for doesn't matter.

Petruchio:
You're wrong. I know you're wrong, you're just...sad, still. You'll see.

Enter ESCALUS, followed by PETER close behind.

Escalus:
Good afternoon, gentlemen. (No response). Gentlemen? (Still no response). I shall be listened to! (All jump. The two lords stand.) I have been informed, as to an incident. Whilst I won't go as far as to expound upon the details, since that everyone present is already completely aware of both the circumstances and the implications of the event, I shall let it be known, how sad this event makes me. (ESCALUS looks, however, completely unfazed). If anyone would like to say anything, I would advise them to do so now. (A pause. PETRUCHIO goes to speak, PETER grabs his arm to silence him). Normally, a matter of such severity would be taken to the courts, and you, my lord Montague, would be found, inevitably, guilty. I have, however, made something of an exception, given that you are a gentleman of such standing, and I have reached a judgement. Since I fear the damage potentially to be done if I deliver a harsh verdict may outweigh the consequences of a slight...neglecting of the law, I have decided, just this once, to allow for Montague to remain free, with a warning. After all, Capulet seems quite content to be in the same room as the offender, and as she was his wife...I feel there is no more to be said.

Petruchio:
No more to be said?

Peter:
Petruchio, don't-

Petruchio
What on earth do you mean, no more to be said?

Escalus:
As is typical with most people when they speak, I meant exactly what I said.

Petruchio:
This is an insult. This is an abandonment of justice, of order.

Escalus:
As a mere servant, it may be hard for you to understand, but this is the only decision that can be made, however difficult it may seem.

Petruchio:
Difficult? It's completely immoral. And you two, how can you just sit there, that was your wife! Is no punishment in order for this...this rapist?

Montague:
Nothing to be done.

Capulet:
Nothing to be said.

Escalus:
They aren't wrong, my boy.

Petruchio:
I don't understand, I- I can't...

Montague:
Can't change the past.

Capulet:
Have to move on.

Escalus:
Best course of action.

Petruchio:
Doesn't make sense, doesn't make-
As the quartet are caught in these loops, all to the same effect, PETER eyes the group with frantic concern, but is unable to bring himself to say anything which might bring the others out of their trances.

Blackout

No comments:

Post a Comment